AHEAD OF TIME:
1. Watch video or listen to podcast "Pretense, Putdowns and Posing"
2 Read the article "Pretense, Putdowns and Missing Identities in Activists' Class Talk"
(4. For a book group, read “Class Speech Differences” interludes I, II, IV and VI from Missing Class.)
Print out handout called “Noticing Class Speech-Style Differences” and fold it so only the top half shows.
AT SESSION 3:
- Look at two quotes from members of the same group; what differences do you notice? Then read their class stories. Discuss.
- Discuss the language style of social justice organizations you support. For example, look at the vocabulary in their mission statements. Does it include the best of both class speech codes?
- Discuss the article / interview video on pretense and posing. Have you ever seen privilege used as a putdown? Have you ever met activists who pretend to be a working-class or poor person when they’re not? Why does the author advocate open talk of class identities?